GOLF LEGENDS RELATED SITES
GOLF LEGENDS PLAYERS
MAJOR TOURNAMENTS LIST
TOURNAMENTS NO LONGER
CONSIDERED A MAJOR
GOLF LEGENDS HOME PAGE
GOLF LEGENDS SITEMAP
GOLF LEGENDS NEWS
GOLF LEGENDS CONTACT US
Woods hot favourite in East Lake showdown
ATLANTA (Reuters) - Tiger Woods is the red-hot favourite to win this week's Tour Championship, the fourth and final event in the inaugural FedExCup playoff series.
Fresh from clinching his 60th PGA Tour title, the world number one is also highly fancied to earn the $10 million bonus in deferred compensation for the overall points champion.
Only six players in the 30-strong field at East Lake Golf Club are still in the running for what is being billed as sport's single biggest pay day.
Either Tiger Woods or fellow American Steve Stricker would claim the $10 million bonus with victory this week, regardless of where the other players finish.
Phil Mickelson, who skipped last week's BMW Championship won by Tiger Woods, would earn the bonus with victory, as long as Tiger Woods finishes worse than second.
South African Rory Sabbatini, South Korean K.J. Choi and Australian Aaron Baddeley also have a slim chance of claiming the big prize but a great deal has to work in their favour.
A triumphant Sabbatini would need Mickelson and Stricker to finish no higher than third and Woods to fare no better than 14th.
Choi's remote prospects hinge on Mickelson finishing third or worse, Stricker placing no higher than fourth and Tiger Woods coming no higher than 22nd.
Baddeley is the least likely contender for the $10 million bonus as he needs to win this week's tournament with Tiger Woods failing to finish because of a withdrawal or a disqualification.
Sabbatini, who has produced four top-10 finishes in his last five PGA Tour starts, accepts he will need a lot of help to win this week's tournament plus the lucrative bonus.
"I've just got to play well and everyone else ahead of me has to play badly," he told reporters at East Lake on Tuesday. "That's about as simple as it gets.
"A lot of things have to happen for me to win the FedExCup but golf is a strange game so anything is possible."
Most fans, and probably several of the players, would find it difficult to look past Tiger Woods as the likeliest winner after his superb performance last week at Cog Hill in Lemont, Illinois.
The 13-times major champion produced a flawless eight-under-par 63 in the final round to triumph by two shots and take over at the top of the FedExCup standings.
"I'm leading it and this week will be a lot of fun for Stricks and me," Tiger Woods said, referring to his pairing with second-placed Stricker for the first two rounds at East Lake.
"The only thing that will be interesting for all of us -- players, fans, media -- is just to see how it's going to turn out condition-wise for us."
The greens on the par-70 layout were badly damaged by record August heat and a severe drought in Atlanta, although they have responded well to treatment over the last month.
Tiger Woods, however, is prepared for slow putting surfaces and an element of frustration.
"You're going to have to accept missing a bunch of putts," the 1999 winner said. "It is what it's going to be."
Tiger Woods refuses to be distracted by the $10 million bonus in his bid for a seventh PGA Tour victory this year.
"You just go play," he said. "You try and win the golf tournament. As I've always said, winning takes care of everything, so you don't have to worry about it if you win."
Australia's Adam Scott defends the title he won by three shots at East Lake last year.
Read more at http://in.reuters.com
OTHER GOLF NEWS
- Ryder Cup focus at Gleneagles
- Plenty of hope at PGA's playoffs
- Room for improvement: Harrington
- PGA at a glance
- New Nicklaus golf course open in WNC
- Golf Girls Learn The Basics
- Harrington to go through pain barrier
- Taking the write path to Tiger Woods
- Tiger Woods is in full swing
- Woods faces US Open fitness race
- Woods is 'on schedule' to play in U.S. Open
- Fresh faces loom for Ryder Cup
- AT&T CLASSIC: CINK SORTS IT OUT
- Pleading for the 5th
- Few true legends to go around
- Woods is leaning toward playing in the Buick Open
- Tiger liked the 5-iron better than the putt everyone’s talking about
- Will Woods match Hogan's Tour record?
- College reunion: Haas, Strange team up for Legends
- Woods elevates game against best
- Opinion by Greg Hansen : With Nicklaus' help, 2009 should be divine
- Ben Hogan Apex Forged Wedge Review
- Tiger's talent makes Grand Slam possible
- Golf great Jack Nicklaus overseeing new course construction
- Tiger considers issue over 'lynch' comment closed
- Looking back at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic: Top 5 moments from the 1970s
- PGA Tour starts today, but Tiger Woods will sit out first event
- Woods ends '07 with commanding World Ranking lead
- The Year of the Tiger
- Tiger warning for rivals
- Tiger Woods Wins Target World Challenge
- Woods wins fourth World Challenge
- Imperious Woods charges into lead
- Despite busy offseason, Woods ready to get back to work
- Tiger Woods' daughter learning golf early
- Strong field set for Tiger's Target World Challenge
- Even during offseason, Woods is right on track
- Woods back to Dubai
- Fred Couples still King of Skins Game
- Tiger Woods flattens his £23m Florida estate
- The "Tiger Tour" Is Already Here
- If Tiger is clean, 'what does it matter what the rest of them are on?'
- Will Roger out-do Tiger?
- Woods Receives Seventh Vardon Trophy
- A new schedule brought Woods and Mickelson together more often
- Tiger Woods to Build Mansion on His Planned Dubai Golf Course
- Nicklaus thrives as Tiger chases mark
- Hanover may pull pin on Nicklaus-designed course
- Mike Weir uses Tiger Woods triumph to win Frys Open
- Woods to have own Gatorade drink
- Tiger Woods' caddie gives more than $750,000 to children's hospital
- Maki: Woods needs to explain himself
- Victory over Woods was exaggerated
- Mike Weir proves Tiger Woods is human and how to save your own round from going downhill
- With a gesture from Jack, the Americans steal the show
- Family values first for proud father Tiger Woods
- Private Tiger Woods drops veil of secrecy
- Nicklaus Manor Sarasota Opera Golf Tournament to Raise Funds for Sarasota Opera
- Woods to Resume Tour Championship First Round Four Behind Clark
- Woods hot favourite in East Lake showdown
- The two careers of Jack Nicklaus highlighted in new tribute book
- Tiger Woods on top of his game, and the world
- Woods heads missing player list
- Woods, Focusing on Fitness, to Build Walking-Only Golf Course
- PGA title is major goal for Woods
- Woods practices at PGA Championship site
- Woods retains lead in 2007 PGA POY, Vardon Trophy standings
- Tiger Woods' new love affair
- Tiger Woods makes AT&T more attractive than The Players Championship as a major
- Tired, but very happy, new dad Woods set to tee off
- Woods shares shots of his newborn daughter
- Sam Alexis Woods Welcomed By Tiger and Elin Woods
- Tiger's real rival 67 and retired
- No turning back as Woods puts baby first
- Tiger Woods cannot commit
- Woods, Furyk and Daly All Commit to Playing 2007 Buick Open
- Woods may shelve plans to play in Buick Open
- Golf world hoping King Tiger has a challenger
- Eyes of a Tiger sharpened by laser surgery
- Tiger not a threat at TPC
- Tiger in favor of shortening tourney cuts
- Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan To Play Together In Pro-Am
- Tiger Woods Commits To Wachovia Championship
- Mickelson to Start Working With Harmon
- Play like a pro
- Nicklaus Golf Equipment reports on new Compri clubs for women
- Onion Sports: Tiger Woods Reveals He Is Zach Johnson
- Soft-Spoken Iowan Makes Masters History With Win Over Tiger Woods
- Tiger Woods takes aim at another Masters title
- Tiger chase looms: Woods has field on edge
- Tiger Woods to miss Champions Tournament
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Review
- PGA Tour to Return to Area
- Golf for Beginners
- Tiger wins opener at match-play championship
- A reminder for Tiger Woods of a winning streak that really isn't
- Woods now set to open against Henry
- Founder Blames Demise on Woods
- Is Lefty finally ready to challenge Tiger's supremacy?
- Tiger Woods to skip Nissan Open
- Lack of rivals no factor in Tiger's dominance, says Watson
- Tiger Woods Falls Short at Dubai Classic
- Woods has Georgia on his mind
- Woods' impressive streak
- Record chasing Els must ignore Woods factor in Dubai
- Tiger Woods, golf course designer
- Tiger Extends His PGA Tour Streak to 7
- Snedeker steals the day from Tiger Woods
- Tiger Woods going for seventh straight PGA Tour win in season opener
- Tiger Woods set for season debut
- Dubai: Oasis rises in the desert
- Woods leads star parade for Challenge match
- Jackie Robinson paved way for Tiger Woods
- Norman to join Woods at Dubai Classic
- Tiger Woods tourney brings back memories
- Tiger Woods still no. 1
- Tiger Woods to Receive another award
- Tiger Woods honored for work with foundation
- Woods' rival?
- Singh shows desire in latest victory
- A new season in Woods' company
- PGA Tour Tries to Build Interest With Points Race
- Woods expected to win the Fed Ex Cup
- No Woods and player uncertainty for PGA Tour opener
- Woods plans to spend more time with his family
- Tiger to skip Tour's season opener again
- Els sets timetable to take over from Tiger Woods as world number one
- Williams continues to race
- Tiger Woods male athlete of the year
- Fringe: New era, old problem — will Tiger show?
- Els in 3-year plan to catch Woods in world rankings
- Tiger Takes Control of His Tournament
- Target World Challenge
- Onion Sports: Tiger Woods Adopts Son To Compete In PGA's Del Webb Father/Son Challenge
- Cink and Henry teaming up
- Tiger Woods Debuts New Buick Luxury Crossover
- Golf: Tiger Woods launches new clubs
- Tiger Woods wins his seventh title
- Tiger Woods' winning streak ends at HSBC
- Augie Swarat is Back
- Golfers Tiger Woods and Ernie Els Partner With Tavistock Group to Create the World's Finest Resort Community in the Bahamas
- Tiger back, but not in the groove yet
- Arnold Palmer: Ambassador of a new beginning in the game of golf
- Tiger to end sabbatical with shot at Asia's richest golf tournament
- Wetterich takes his biggest step as 11 first-timers tee it up at Tour Championship
- Beck in business at 50
- Focus on: Golf this week
- Woods needs some Goofy golf to win the Vardon Trophy
- Healthy Bingham shoots and scores at Nationwide event
- Once rivals, Norman, Faldo to be teammates
- Exciting “Two-fer”
- Webb shares the second round title lead with Jang
- Micheel steps up
- Clarke Returns
- Dilemma for Clarke's Friends
- Woods continues to write history with Nike
- Webb exits after nightmare 82
- Rivals hoping to profit from Sorenstam's small show of frailty
- Critics are overlooking Wie's wonderful story
- Wie still winless; Webb captures Evian Masters by one
- Wie leads Evian Masters
- Cheeky Tiger tweaks Annika’s tail
- Michelle uses another LPGA exemption for Masters
- Golf: Mobiles to be banned at Ryder Cup
- Emotional Tiger Woods Captures British Open
- Mickelson lying low, but talk swirls
- Double Trouble Leaves Bad Taste for Mickelson
- 'Old Phil' Is Back!
- U.S. Open Course's Curves Punish Golfers' Power, Reward Finesse
- Mickelson lingers in shadow
- Tiger sighted during U.S. Open practice
- He's Set for a Major Return
- Meticulous Mickelson the tip to make it a hat-trick
- Pettersson clings to Memorial lead
- Flesch avoids bunkers, leads at Memorial
- Haas wins Senior PGA Championship
- Woods makes first U.S. Open reconnaissance at Winged Foot
- Woods out of Jack Nicklaus' tournament
- Jacobsen takes over lead by 1 shot
- Donald insists course is too easy
- Watson looking forward to time in Great Britain
- Herron Beats Johnson in PGA Playoff
- Utley shares putting secrets in book
- Rick Martino: What's in your golf bag is important
- Career titles aside, Annika's little sister has special claim to fame
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer withdraws from Senior PGA Championship
- Now here’s a hazard: golf in a volcano’s shadow
- Climo cruises to win, Doss fifth in disc golf Masters Cup
- Driving golf cart not easy
- Free golf clinic features contests, equipment
- Golf Fans Stay Connected with WiFi Service from AT&T
- PGA Golf Tour Snubs U.S. Tests as Marijuana Surfaces in Europe
- Golf courses, rec centres booming: StatsCan
- Wie finishes out of title contention in South Korea
- Cancer claims Tiger's father
- KC golf organizations banding together
- Emirates Golf Club to host Faldo Series
- Home of golf to honour courage of Tiger's 'honorary grandfather'
- Don't look for Nicklaus at Augusta National - Golf legend plans to sit out Masters
No news available yet. Please check back again tomorrow for some updates.